Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2020

the raucous toucan


Have you ever thought how would you feel if you had a nose bigger than your body? Imagine what it feels like to be a Toucan.


Toucans are very colourful birds. Their beaks are a combination of colours, red, teal, blue, orange, purple and green.They have the longest beak of any bird in the world . Their beak is sharp and serrated to grab food. Toucans have short wings to fit through small gaps in the trees but can only fly short distintas. Toucans have four toes two that point one way and two that point the other. This helps them hang upside down to get fruit 



Toucans are native to South America. Toucans are found in the Amazon basin.In the canopy of the
trees where there is lots of fruit and it is safer from predators.Toucans can  be found also in the savanna ,tropical forests and shrublands. They are always found in the warm regions with lots of rainfall


Harpy eagles and jaguars are predators of toucans.Snakes,lizards and weasels will steal their eggs. People also cut down the rainforest  where they live to plant coca plants they also steal them to keep them as pets.


Toucans love to eat fruit they regurgitate {throw up} the seeds helping more fruit grow. They can sometimes eat frogs, insects, lizards and small birds.


Did  you know toucans have a ball and socket joint so he can roll up into a ball because if it is getting food out a hole then a predator can't sneak up behind him and snach his tail.
Toucans manage their body temperature by adjusting the blood flow to their beak as more blood means more heat release. Due to the sheer size of the beak, it would be sensible to think it weighs a fair amount but actually due to the little air holes the beak is actually quite light.

Did  you learn something new? I had fun Writing and learning about toucans.i didn't know that toucans were so fascinating!  






2 comments:

  1. Hi Lily
    I have enjoyed reading your report about Toucans. You have gathered some really interesting facts. I'm also impressed with your key words from reading and the way you have explained them in your own words. What was the most interesting fact you learned?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lily
    You have a lot of interesting facts about toucans. I love the picture especially since you and your Dad created it. It is beautiful! I did not know about the ball and socket joint but I can see how useful that would be. What do you like most about toucans?
    Katrina

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post